2010年9月7日火曜日

Ikemen



Another Japanese word that you probably will not find in the traditional dictionary is ikemen. I recall this word was coined like 6 or 7 years ago. Ike means "good" and men means "mask" in Japanese, but as you may guess, men is a pun with the English word 'men.' So ikemen means a handsome man.

Even I, an expat Japanese who has been living in the U.S. for more than ten years, know this newly-coined word, but the other day I came across a new one that I have never heard of -- that is ikedan.

I was watching a Japanese TV show which conducted Ikedan kentei. Kentei means an examination.

You can watch the show here on YouTube.

Ikedan is apparently a derivative of ikemen, but I couldn't figure out what dan means when I first saw it. Dan can mean many things in Japanese.... like a group, warmth, steps, ranking, and more! The Japanese language has rather limited phonetic variation, so the same sound could mean so many things -- instead, we differentiate the same sound by intonation according to meanings sometimes.

At any rate, ikedan means a "handsome husband!" Dan is from dan'na or dan'na-sama which mean a husband.

The television show invited several good-looking Japanese actors, models, and other celebrities to the studio to find out who will make the best husband. Female audiences in the studio became judges.

I have been dating with only non-Japanese men since I moved to the U.S. and haven't sought out Japanese men for such a long time.... (I've become a real gaisen) and I have forgotten about how sexy some Japanese guys could be! OMG, I may turn myself into a sticky rice if I could get one of these guys... Japanese men whom I am particularly fond of among those celebrities on the show are ....

Seiji Iinuma - a professional life guard (his blog is here, though only in Japanese and he's married!)

Takuji Kawakubo - he's an actor. He looks much better in the show b/c his hair is shorter.


Toshihiko Hakamada - an actor. He's also married...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

*このサイトで取り上げた内容を記事として転載・流用される場合は、本サイトのURLを情報元として併記していただけると幸いです。m(_ _)m If you would like to republish or mention the content found here, please include my website as a reference and/or source. Thanks!