2010年9月30日木曜日

My mom is a "new half"

New half is a word coined by the Japanese which means transgenders -- specifically biologically male transgenders. Some new half have taken surgery to convert their body anatomically but not all do so. I am not 100% confident about the definition but I think new half is different from cross dressers or transvestites, I think. New half is those who were born as boys but want to become a woman and that's why they dress like women.

When watching Japanese TV online, I came across a drama about new half which is titled "My mom is a new half." This drama was broadcast last year according to Wikipedia.





The main character played by Noboru Kaneko is an elite business person but he has a side job as a new half dancer at a gay bar at nights.

This is Noboru Kaneko.


This is him on drag.

Like in the U.S., it has become almost a rite of passage for male actors to play transvestite/trans-gender roles in their career. But am I the only one who's tired of this trend? I want to see more gay drama both in Japanese and American movies and television drama. I have craving for a story about a man who looks like a man who falls in love with another man. Somehow Japanese audience (and maybe U.S. audience) find a trans-gender character more fascinating and understand him better than a gay character?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

*このサイトで取り上げた内容を記事として転載・流用される場合は、本サイトのURLを情報元として併記していただけると幸いです。m(_ _)m If you would like to republish or mention the content found here, please include my website as a reference and/or source. Thanks!