2011年7月22日金曜日

Can you visibly distinguish between US-born Japanese and Japan-born Japanese?

A Caucasian American friend of mine told me, "I can tell if he was born and grew up in the U.S. or in Japan."

Really?


According to him, U.S.-born Japanese (who have Japanese parents) have broader shoulders, bigger bone structure, and taller height. Mmmm, I don't buy it because there're many tall and big Japanese in Japan! In fact, the average height of the Japanese population has increased since decades ago.

For me, the indicators of whether he/she is Japan-born or U.S.-born Japanese is their hair style, fashion, gesture, and facial expressions -- sometimes how much tan you've got. U.S.-born Japanese, especially in Hawaii and Southern California, seem to be more tanned because of high UV rays in those regions. But the biggest difference for me is their hair style and facial expressions. The Japanese men in Japan tend to keep their hair longer, wear more fit clothes (bigger influence of Euro fashion) and dye hair color. Also, once they speak, I can tell almost right away. I can hear some accent in Japanese if he/she grew up in the U.S. That doesn't mean their English doesn't have any accent either. Of course, almost always I can pick accent in English if he/she grew up in Japan.

So, I tend to notice such cues when I meet U.S.-born Japanese. That being said, my American friend may be true in some sense. If the Japanese grow up in places like Southern California with a lot of open space, sun light, and meat in diet, their "growth gene" in the Japanese gene stock may be activated.

What do you think about my friend's theory?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

*このサイトで取り上げた内容を記事として転載・流用される場合は、本サイトのURLを情報元として併記していただけると幸いです。m(_ _)m If you would like to republish or mention the content found here, please include my website as a reference and/or source. Thanks!